View Single Post
Old February 10, 2000, 10:29 AM   #11
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Some very good opinions here. I don't currently have the option of getting a concealed carry license, so it is somewhat of a moot point for me. My family is better off spiritually, mentally, physically and financially if I am not in jail, though. If I had the choice, I would get the permit.
As to whether or not that is "knuckling under" to an unconstitutional law, I think it is. I would still do it though, for many of the same reasons that Erik cited above.
How do I deal with the hypocracy of this? A new TFL member, Tracker, has written a very good essay called "Tao of Gun" that explores many of the questions that we pose here. Here is an excerpt: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Waking Up

Different events wake different people. The process of getting a gun woke me up. It woke me up to the kind of world that I and all of us collectively have allowed to develop. It also woke me up to the trajectory on which we have placed ourselves and our children.

For me, waking up means taking 100% responsibility for my life and my world. It means I'm responsible both for my own safety and well-being, and for the State that legislates how I am allowed to do that.

Acting In Consciousness

Once awake, what do we do? I imagine an inmate in a mental institution who stops taking his drugs and begins to see clearly and the first thing he realizes is "I'm a prisoner in a mental institution." Strategically, it is better if he goes about his daily routine as if none-the-wiser than if he starts storming the doors and screaming at the guards.

One woman dutifully gets her driver's license and marriage license and fills out her infant's Social Security Card Application never giving it a second thought -- it's what you're supposed to do. Another woman applies for a gun license and gives her fingerprints and has an FBI criminal check run on her so she can have a State license to protect herself and her children. However she does it in full consciousness that this is a charade. It serves no purpose to yell at the guard of the asylum. There is a tremendous difference in the energy beacon of the person who abides the regulations from a consciousness of sovereignty and one who abides them because, "Isn't that what you're supposed to do?"

Acting in full consciousness of your sovereignty, even if you're doing unsovereign play acting, I believe impacts the awareness of all and has the potential for creating a critical mass, a 100th Monkey Effect, wherein people who otherwise would not have considered the topic, begin to wake up to their own sovereignty.

Copyright © 2000 Richard Roberts. All Rights Reserved. <A HREF="http://www.starseedcreations.com/RKBA/tao_of_gun.html" TARGET=_blank>Tao of Gun[/quote]</A>
There is no reason to yell at the guards. The key is to make your case with the administration. What good does it do to pitch a fit at the local police and not write your congressman?
I imagine a time when *so* many people have CCW licenses and crime levels are lower than ever, that the government passes National CCW Reciprocity; Vermont style.

OK, dream over. Back to reality. I still can't legally carry a concealed handgun outside my own house.

------------------
RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

[This message has been edited by TheBluesMan (edited February 10, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03846 seconds with 8 queries