View Single Post
Old February 11, 2000, 02:46 PM   #15
Erik

Law in America is interpreted, or based on precedent. (Simplistic, but accurate enough for our purposes.) To effectively change the law you must ultimately change the social consciousness of America. Legislaters are subsequently contacted, and ultimately proposed new legislation is debated and written into law. Someone breaks the law, and goes to court. Lawyers present their cases and a judge rules only on points of order and law. Juries decide. Appeals are made. Repeate the process, but now only proceedure and points of law are reviewed. The merits of the case have little to do with anything. The case is decided. IF the Supreme Court decides to hear the cases, substantive legal precedent can be erased or written. The SC Justices hold "all" the answers, but decide relatively few issues. Point in case- when was the last substantive decision of the 2nd Amendment? Gun owners assume we are right. Why hasn't the SC upheld our beliefs? Get the ball rolling- join the NRA, vote in every election. Support pro gun education and legislation. Here's a biggie: do something to sway public opinion! Change the social consciousness of America BACK to how we want it. That will start the process I described above.

I don't advocate breaking the law because it does none of the above, accept get you involved in the legal system- and if you are not rich, or the lawyer, you do not want to be involved in the legal system.

Erik

Sorry if I rambled- I was in a hurry.

Page generated in 0.02563 seconds with 8 queries