View Single Post
Old February 18, 2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Socrates

Range report: 360 PD self-defense loads...

Hi
Actually got to go shooting yesterday. I concentrated on two things:
FA 83 22lr and finding a load I could fire with some sort of accuracy out of my 360PD with my Hogue Monogrip on it:

I'll post pics of the targets in a bit.

The goal was to fire enough .357, and 38 through the gun to pick a load for carry. Also, to get familiar with the gun.
Prior to the mongrip, the gun was unshootable with .357, cutting my finger on the first shot.
Now, it just beats me up. It requires a death grip to shoot, and, with the heavy trigger pull, double action, is not a candidate for target gun of the month. Shooting was done at 15 yards.

My right hand is very sore from the pounding it took, and,
like a real brain, I forgot my shooting gloves.

I shot a minimum of ten rounds of each load.

Saturday, February 16, 2008
Range notes on .357 ammo extended grip

Federal Personal defense 357 158 grain hp 1240 fps
Heavy recoil, last shot came out of time
Not enough rounds to really test
Two cylinders
Recoils hard, have numb trigger finger, but, not cut

Hornady158 grain JHP XTP 1250 fps

Grouped really high takes death grip to shoot near accurately

American Eagle 130 grain FMJ
950 fps
really mild, but a bit low

Haven’t shot a decent group yet.

Federal Premium Low recoil .357 130 grain HPs 1300 fps?
Low recoil compared to what?
Hurt my hand.

Fioochi 357 Magnum 148 grain 1300 fps

Either my hand is really getting used to getting hammered, or, I like this one. Hits but it’s not sharp. Don't think it's that fast out of a snub...

Fusion 357 mag 158 grain hps at 1240 fps
Very heavy recoiling. Hurt hand.

Heavy 38 special Plus P 158 item 20A Buffalobore 1040 fps
Still pretty heavy recoil. Second favorite, behind Fioochi.

Seems the fiocchi recoils a bit less then the buffalobore 38, or at least sort of slower.

I decided that was enough, and, I have 5 more, heavier 357 loads I was going to try, but, didn't, since my hand hurt. I started off shooting about 10 rounds of .475, thinking that would get me ready for the 360PD, 357. Didn't work that way.

At 15 yards, I shot patterns, not groups. Also, after death gripping the 360PD, I doubled my target grade trigger Kimber, and, the range guy didn't like that much. Same problem with the .475 Linebaugh, with 400 grain XTP's, and a pretty good group, but flew the last shot. About 2".

The Freedom Arms 83 22lr, grouped around an inch, or less, with CCI Blazer 40 grain ammunition. The trigger is the standard 5 pound FA trigger, and, it's really sort of weird having a 22lr that has a much heavier trigger pull then a FA 83 .475 Linebaugh.

Anyway, it was great to get out and shoot.

Page generated in 0.02225 seconds with 8 queries