View Single Post
Old March 17, 2008, 11:57 PM   #24
Socrates

If you read review, you will notice .38 special already shot through the gun. Accuracy testing was done at 15 yards, and, the 38 was shot in the middle of a range session that was focused on recoil, and actually being able to hit what I was aiming at. .38 is NOT what I want to shoot out of the gun, but, it maybe what I end up with.

The brutal fact is the gun is really limited to 125 grain HP's, since the company warns about using anything lighter then 110 grains for fear of top strap cutting, or forcing cone damage. All heavier bullets, except the 147 grain .357 from Fioochi seem, to generate felt recoil that is beyond my ability to shoot as I would any other gun.

That said, with 125's the recoil numbers look like they might approach a shootable situation, though the trigger is truly horrible, both very heavy, very long gritty, and, it doesn't seem to get any better.

Quote:
BB Tactical Short Barrel, Low Flash, Reduced Recoil 357 Magnum
125gr. Speer Unicore (Gold Dot) bullet @ 1,109 fps (341 ft. lbs.)
Recoil Energy of 13 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 34 fps.
American Eagle 130 grain FMJ
950 fps Recoil Energy of 10 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 30 fps.
really mild, but a bit low
The last load is really realistically about as much as I can shoot as I shouuld from this gun, though 13 ft. lbs shouldn't be beyond my ability, I believe the super lightweight, and recoil velocity is the real key here. The gun just moves so fast, that it really puts a hurt on your hand and joints.

My hope is to find a way to combine low velocity, with more recoil energy, to get a bigger bullet, moving fast enough to be outside the service calibers, but, not super loud, nor super fast recoil. The real give away is this, my favorite gun to shoot:
400 Grain Hornady XTP at 1350 fps, out of FA 83:
Recoil Energy of 36 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 27 fps. The speed of recoil isn't much, thanks to gun weight, but, the actual Recoil energy is substantial, yet it's fairly fun to shoot.

You can also go off the deep end, and, gnerate so much recoil energy, that despite moderate speed, it feels like you got hit with a metal bat:

Ruger Maximum in 500 Linebaugh Maximum:
525 at 1350 fps:
Recoil Energy of 53 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 31 fps.

Thanks to this gun, I've changed my way of determining guns and loads to taking the actual gun, weighing it, and then plugging in recoil figures and figuring out what kind of recoil I'm going to get for the loads I want to shoot.

Keep also in mind that when you follow Mas Ayoob's advice for SD and use ammo loaded by a commercial maker, you often find recoil much higher then indicated, thanks to super cheap, high recoiling powders in factory ammo.

Also, I've decided that since a civilian gun fight, if it ever happend, would average very few rounds fired, the first round is the most important. The 360 PD, with it's truly horrendous, even after a trigger job, DA pull on the first shot makes it rate far down on the list for carry guns, and, the only reason to really carry it is to use 38's with 125 grain bullets, and CCW boot grips, so you have a well concealed, pocket gun.

Page generated in 0.02587 seconds with 8 queries