View Single Post
Old June 20, 2010, 12:23 PM   #36
stmichps

I recently found and purchase a Model 11 in 20 gauge with a intergraded poly-choke at about NRA 70% from a local gunshop. My original intent was to chop the barrel to 18-1/8" making it a home defense gun. After only paying $212 (w/tax) I didn't think I could go wrong.

My thought was that this would be the "Ideal" house gun being recoil operated not gas. Since reading a number of the threads on this forum speaking out against such I'm not to sure? I didn't count on the importance of the barrel weight in the function of the action.

I've seen Model 11s shorten before for this purpose and know of the Model 11R that was originally manufactured with a 20" inch barrel. I've seen both modifications function just fine, but I've got a 20 gauge and I'm not sure that such modification would work as well seeing that we're talking about a lighter load in comparision to a 12 gauge.

I've got to admit I am a little confuse through? One post states that the internals would take a beating by lighting up the barrel, another states that it won't cycle if the barrel is lighten to much.

If it will beat the action then I would think that would be a simple fix by buying a Browning A-5 Magnum 20 springs and friction rings kit, if the latter then come up with a compensator that actually pushes the barrel to the rear.

Which is it?

By the way! Why is it that the Model 11 doesn't fetch a price closer to the Browning A-5? I can see that the wood and finish on the 11s isn't to the same level as the A-5s but one would think that the pricing would be some what closer then what it is seeing it's a near copy of the A-5s?

Last edited by stmichps; June 20, 2010 at 01:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03785 seconds with 8 queries