View Single Post
Old October 2, 2001, 09:15 AM   #13
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Mine was a custom one-off done by them. They had never done an extended tube Mossberg before then. After getting done with mine they said they'd probably never do another extended tube Mossberg again, but you never know of the power of the dollar! I was debating on whether to get it installed on one of my Mossbergs or the Ithaca 37 (no disconnector). I ended up with the Mossberg due to the number of barrels I have for them. The normal price at that time was $125. I paid $150 IIRC for mine due to the extra machining done around the front rifle sight. They said that they need around 1 1/2 inches of unencumbered barrel to put on the duckbill. I had around this amount and they said that they had never done that particular application but to send it in and they would check it out to see if it was doable.
I found the articles mentioned above. They are in the January 2000 issue of SAR, Vol 3 No 4.
One point I was erroneous in above was the correct name. The name of the company is Great Lakes Arsenal. I was trying to recall from memory, sorry about any confusion.
The contact information according to the article is
Great Lakes Arsenal
60233 Northern Ave.
Ray, MI 48096-3914
(810)749-9386
e-mail:[email protected]
Using Google search engine with "Great Lakes Arsenal" gave around half a dozen hits. One of the hits had someone from the company giving a thumbnail explanation of the duckbill and they also explained that they were in the process of changing their email account. This was dated 4/17/01. So I'm not sure if the email is up-to-date anymore.
Almost forgot about your last question. The modification is permanent. It is slightly bulky and does stick out just a little bit, but enough to possibly catch a branch. It appears that it could have the edges melted, as on a pistol though. A heavy rounding of the ends would make it snag-free.
I suggest getting the back issue of SAR as it has quite a bit of useful information. BTW they will only do this mod to plain barrels, no ribbed barrels need apply. Also no semi-auto shotguns with reciprocating barrels. My advice would be to go for it. It's a cool toy and a great conversation piece whenever I pull it out. The 4 to 1 spread is cool too.

Page generated in 0.03068 seconds with 8 queries