View Single Post
Old June 20, 2000, 01:05 PM   #9
RickD

Mr. Stewart is scheduled to be arraigned in federal court today (somewhere in Phoenix).

His story made the Mesa Tribune and has been the topic on at least one radio show. The host was on our side, some of the callers are quite ignorant, however. They were calling his single-shot rifle an assault weapon. The BATF representative was reported as saying that there was not need for such an "assault weapon...no sporting use for something that can go through an inch and a half of steel..." Tell that to an Elk.

I haven't read the story yet, but Mr. Stewart appears to be very defiant. I smell a court fight as high as he can take it.

The BATF are no doubt going after his felony status (convicted of possession of an unregistered machine gun) he didn't pay the $200 tax. They are also going to say that having parts of a gun, barrel, receiver (that requires machining to make operate) trigger group, etc. constitutes a firearm.

My understanding is that under the law and BATF regs this is not so. Is it illegal for a non-violent felon to make a barrel? A trigger group? A non-functioning receiver?

It appears that the guy was within the law unless someone can show me otherwise. The BATF is trying a test case of their own. They really hate the .50 BMG.

Rick

Page generated in 0.03872 seconds with 8 queries