View Single Post
Old November 3, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Citizen Carrier

The mag disconnect may be a factor in the trigger pull.

Rather than remove it, the first thing I would do is install a Volquartsen trigger and match sear. The trigger will allow you to remove most of the pre-travel and nearly all of the overtravel as well. The sear is polished and will reduces friction, resistance in the mechanism.

But yes, there is a way to turn a Mk III into a Mk II internally. I've done it twice. Once with one of mine I used to own and a friend's.

You'll need to swap out the Mk III hammer with a Mk II hammer. Those might be harder to get from Ruger these days. Last I heard, they were limiting the shipping of these parts because they knew that was what people were using them for.

Rather than fuss with getting a factory Mk II part (unless you know of an easy source), you could just order a lightened match Mk II hammer made by Volquartsen. That'll do the job fine.

The mag disconnect safety consists of a wire spring, which is easily discarded.

You'll also need a Mk II hammer bushing. This is a disc/washer-looking piece with a small step in the center that provides seperation for the internal parts and fits into the recess in the hammer. There's a few ways to do this.

Cheapest is to use place a thin, flat washer that approximates the diameter and thickness you need. I found one in a bolt bin in the motor pool of a National Guard armory I was working at. Such things are common.

Or you could attempt to get a factory Mk II bushing.

Or, you could go the most elegant route and order an oversized match hammer bushing from Clark's Custom Guns. It's on their website. You have to press fit it (I had to lightly tap it into the hammer with a...hammer). It supposedly removes slop and loseness from the internal parts.

This stuff sounds much more complicated than it is. Especially if you aren't all that familiar with the internal workings of the gun.

Like I said, just try the sear and trigger first.

Page generated in 0.02314 seconds with 8 queries