View Single Post
Old January 1, 2005, 10:59 PM   #12
Bullpupper

$3K plus shipping/FFL charges if you aren't in Washington state (or maybe an adjoining state - i'd have to check the law, I'm not an FFL holder).

I would consider separating the scope (a really nice Burris 3x12 Signature with Posi-Lock, Daylight/Twilight apertures and Parallax adjustment) from the rifle, but I prefer to sell them together as I would probably want a higher power scope for a .50 BMG rifle.

The barrel is an 18" SS Krieger. The front of the tensioning "nut" on the barrel is maching at an angle (looks to be 45 deg.) which I assume is to support mating with a supressor. The barrel is threaded and currently there is a flash hider attached. Of course the rifle is "pre-ban".

The stock is of course McMillan. It has three McMillan sling attachment points (not studs, inserts), two on either side of the buttstock, one on the left side of the forestock.

The trigger is activated via cable which runs through a channel in the stock to a bellcrank in buttstock which works against the stock strigger. There is also one in the stock at the forward trigger - IMO this is the only real weak point of the design; it looks a little frail at that point, but I've never had a problem with it. It would be very easy and inexpensive to manufacture something more sturdy to replace it. The trigger action is as good as stock.

Except for the operating rod modification (the protruding lever has been moved forward to clear the action cover) the action is very stock - you could almost drop in any M1A or M14 action, although I haven't tried it (the forward portion of the barrel might require some fitting).

I have modified the action cover because like many other bullpup conversions with this kind of cover, brass would get caught between the charging rod and the cover. Removing the front support post stopped that and since the cover is very heavy guage aluminum it is still plenty sturdy.

I had the scope mount slots milled so that there is a slot every 0.5" to pretty closely match STANAG specs, but it would probably be better to completely replace it if you were to be serious about mounting such equipment.

As I recall AWC was selling these rifles for about $2000 if the customer supplied the action. AWC would do all the fitting and modifications. I think the tensioned barrel mod was anoth $500 or so, but it has been about a decade so I don't recall.

I do not have the special wrench adapter for the barrel tensioning, which was supposed to be used with a torque wrench, but it wouldn't be hard to make one. The nut has two flats milled on it - I imagine a crowfoot adapter would work just as well (that's probably what the adapter was).

More pics or info upon request.

Page generated in 0.03809 seconds with 8 queries