View Single Post
Old November 14, 2002, 02:10 PM   #35
Ric

Art: good advise on approaching them from the side

Brief update.

Florida Agr Enforcement (FAE) has no feral emu policy, they are considered ag livestock. And this was a surprise - if they were not considered livestock they would have been subject to the Fed Migratory Bird Act. Even though their native range is Australia and they can't fly.

It was not easy to get a straight answer from FAE to my simple queston, but i persisted.

-------

me: (After describing my problem) - Can i shoot them ?

FAE: Well sir as a doctor of vet med i cannot advocate killing animals, but as a matter of policy this department takes no position on the matter of feral emu populations as we consider these livestock. If you desire to capture them live and retain them we might be able to provide some assistance in that arena but i'm not certain of the extent of assistance we could provide. Also we would urge extreme caution ...(this answer continued on for several minutes)

me: Uh, so i *can* shoot them ?

FAE: As i said, sir, this department would take no position on this matter....if you wish to...to...um..harvest the animals in the manner in which you have described.

me: So, i can shoot them ?

FAE: Well,... you see, ....er, uh......yes.

------

No "emu sign" for the past week. From my reading-up on them their ranges are large, ten+ square miles. They could be foraging, following the river bank or the coyotes might have gotten them by now.

There is a large state park a mile from where i last saw them so they may be there, especially now ie hunting season. Guess i should let the park biologist know about them.

Frani (my Franchi Aristocrat O/U), some No. 4 and I await their return. If i have to go it alone i'll also have some .45 ball ready for CQ.

Got the photos back, but they were slides so i'm having prints made to scan and post.

Page generated in 0.03252 seconds with 8 queries