View Single Post
Old November 18, 2002, 03:37 PM   #48
lockandrock
Registration in progress

Surely not chicken or turkey but more like a stringy beef but it is not 100% like beef either. It all depends on how you cook and prepare it. But its very similiar to most red meat beef with no fat to trim. I had it prepared both grilled ( texas BBQ) and roasted in oven. It has less calories, low cholestrol and over all less fat. Very good taste for a bird with minimal seasoning. We applied dry rub to the Ostrich "steaks" and grilled them over Mesquite timbers added 1/2oz of soy sauce with garlic olive oil and onions. It can be use in any dish that requires beef but remember to cook it slowly and it does cook quick IIRC.

Some say the Ostrich ( native to SA ) and Emu ( native to OZ ) are cow meat subsitutes. I still perfer a Beef brisket or Sirloin tip over any Ostrich any day of the week.

Nothin like 100% beef.

If you find a exotic meat seller buy a lb or two and check it out.Their's quite a few Ostrich farms in SE/S Central texas and as far up as Arkansas.

btw: Never eaten the egg but have seen it cook. Quite interesting but I still wouldn't eat a egg from a ostrich and perfer a brown egg from a free-roaming chicken.

Page generated in 0.03307 seconds with 8 queries