View Single Post
Old August 31, 2001, 10:30 AM   #5
Dave T

I have been carrying and shooting handguns for 30 years. It has been my experience that semiautomatics have been more reliable than double action revolvers.

The first year of my law enforcement career I carried a revolver (S%W Model 28) and practiced with it extensively. In that year the timing, indexing and ignition became unreliable. My next duty weapon was a MK IV Government Model. It proved as reliable and much more durable than the revolver. I carried one model of 1911 or another for the next 26 years.

During that time I owned numerous DA revolvers and competed with some (PPC, IPSC, steel combat, IDPA). I never got through a match with a revolver without one binding up or experiencing cylinder drag. By the way, this doesn't include single action revolvers which in my experience have been as reliable at my semiautomatics.

I know this goes against the conventional wisdom but it is none the less my real world experience. To those of you who prefer revolvers, more powder to you. Please, allow me to carry the semiauto of my choice (these days that's a Glock).

Page generated in 0.03743 seconds with 8 queries