Thread: Draft
View Single Post
Old November 11, 2002, 12:24 PM   #133
ronin308

Blackhawk- You seem to know more about the big picture than I do concerning Vietnam. I appreciate you outlining it for me. Don't forget, I went to publik skool Our section in my high school history class about Vietnam was about 2 days long. The only independent study I have done is talking with vets and reading the Time Life series of books. So I have a question: Why didn't the U.S. ever directly push towards North Vietnam itself? Wouldn't the war have been over much quicker and with less casualties that way?

ahenry-

Quote:
I know you don’t think you are dishonoring them, and I am confident that you would never deliberately choose to. And I know that you consciously respect and value their sacrifice, as we all do. I don’t believe that anybody is questioning that.
That is reassuring, I'm not out to offend or dishonor anyone, especially people who have given what they have.

Quote:
The difference is that, while those drafted (or those that decided to volunteer in order to get something better than the draft would have given them) might all question the need for some war, they did their duty regardless.
And that is fine and honorable. But there are certain times, when the troops are questioning the need for a good reason.

Quote:
Our gov’t is integral to our country, and its decisions are our decisions; if you do not believe that it is, then it is time for you to pick up a weapon and change it or leave for something better.
I don't agree with much of the current government's policies. But now really isn't the time to do either of your choices. I am attempting to change our government, but its not with a rifle or with a plane ticket.

Page generated in 0.04146 seconds with 8 queries