View Single Post
Old May 10, 2005, 06:46 AM   #8
HOKIEHUNTER

I guess i'm being somewhat misunderstood, I do not intend to "put down" a wounded animal with the gun. If I wound a bear, deer, or such and it runs off, I don't intend to whip out the gun and shoot as it retreats, or use it to put the animal down from close range. If an animal or another hunter for that matter threatens my life in any way shape or form, I'm gonna do all i can to get away, but if I can't (say i'm in a treestand), I want to take care of the intruder by any means necessary. I'll be more than happy to never hunt in VA again if it means I don't get mauled or attacked. Using the gun would be a last possibility, worst case scenario weapon, and I would most likely fire a warning shot before attempting a kill shot. I know being put in that situation is very unlikely, but so is the fact that you'll need to actually use a concealed carry weapon. I'm going to get a concealed carry permit, but the only time i'll ever need it is when i'm going hunting. I was in three situations last fall where a handgun would have made me feel much safer so I intend on having one with me this year. I see it more as survival gear than part of the hunt. I carry an emerbency blanket, matches, and a mapping gps. I don't really plan on relying on these items during a hunt, but in the national forest I usually hike 2-5 miles from the path to go where no one else is, and a time might come where these items are necessary. haha and it's much easier to signal for help with a handgun than a bow...
I appreciate the responses and assure you i'm up to date on the VA game laws. Thanks for the concern though.
HAHA and I know how strict the game wardens are, they'd ticket they're own mother if they got the chance...

Page generated in 0.04370 seconds with 8 queries