View Single Post
Old March 23, 2005, 11:38 PM   #14
WmD

LuckyInKentucy, you must be either the luckiest person I've come accross or FOS. I collect shotgun news articles/gun tests for just this reason - extracted the 'real' dragunov accuracy test and the romanian psl accuracy test for comparison. They were both suprisingly close in accuracy with the dragunov just edging out the romanian. The romanian psl would do 1.25-2.5moa depending upon the ammo, the dragunov 1-2moa. The dragunov tests were interesting as each group experience a flier to through it off.

Romanian PSL:
Wolf 148gr fmj 2.5 moa
Wolf 200gr extra match 1.25 moa
Domestic 174gr match 1.25 moa

Dragunov:
174 gr black hills match 1.25 moa
174 gr sellier and bellot match 1.25 moa
200 gr wolf extra match 1.37 moa

600m tests with the dragunov were on the order of 6++ inch groups. My BS meter pegged with luckyinkentucky's report of 1.5-2in groups at 800m accordingly. Consider yourself a lucky as winning the powerball with a semi-auto that accurate.....

Check out the following site, it provides a comprehensive analysis of the real dragunov, variants and the romanian psl/romak for comparison.

http://www.dragunov.net

Both the real dragunov and psl were designed as marksman rifles used to provide squad support to 600m. Good enough to hit a man sized target at 600m with quick follow up shot capability to take out multiple targets at that range. They were not designated as 'sniper' classified rifles capable of sub moa accuracy as what the western bolt actions are distinguished by. The western philosophy is more on the order of 'one shot one kill' with the role differing in taking out high priority targets while remaining concealed. These precision tack drivers bolt action are hard pressed to do "1.5-2in groups at 800m"

According to SGN the dragunov has less felt recoil due to the short gas system than the long stroke psl platform. My take is the PSL is a good buy for the $$$ and is a great shooter and a blast to cycle rounds through. I have one and have absolutlely no regrets. I can regularly do 1.5moa with cheap wolf ammo, sometimes slightly better if i do my part. Its fit/finish are slightly better than the average romanian ak but still not a trophy type of finish as the dragunov is.

IMHO the dragunov is more of a collectors type/investment rifle where the psl is more of a shooters rifle.

For the $ though the saiga 308 seems to be hard to beat ($250 is hard to beat). Suprisingly the 16" versions are reported as out shooting the 22" variants due to less barrel harmonics. 16" accuracy reported at 1.5moa or slightly better, not bad for just a 16" rifle... Dont need another 308 though, have too many (AR10, M1a, Fal, Savage sniper)..... the safes are full and overflowing, need to get rid of one in order to make some room, perhaps the 8mm fn-49 but not sure about that....something about an 8mm semi auto that makes me smile....

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries