View Single Post
Old August 12, 2002, 03:12 AM   #4
RR

"Still, Sounds like you had a "bad stop" & are venting a bit. We need more info to walk this one through."

No, I am not venting, and no I did not have a bad stop. Yes, it is departmental policy within many departments (non CCW States) that if you encounter a firearm during a traffic stop to run the serial number. Yes it is becoming routine to ask the question "Do you have any drugs or weapons..." followed by "then you don't mind if I look in your vehicle." The number of arrests (and convictions) that began with this simple procedure is very large, and this procedure has been upheld in the Courts.

And if you say I got a gun in the trunk and you refuse to open the trunk, your keys will be taken from you and the trunk will be opened, without a warrant. Will you later have a legal challenge to the search of the trunk-who cares, you will not be arrested because the search will not turn up any illegal activity.

Responses such as "I never heard of this happening" or "You are venting" or You must have had a "bad stop," ignore the issue. If you believe that this scenario is unusual or extreme, you are living in a fantasy world.

So how do you answer the question, without lying, without wanting to seem uncooperative, without wanting to endure the result of telling the truth?

Page generated in 0.02642 seconds with 8 queries