View Single Post
Old December 11, 2007, 04:25 AM   #10
Lee-Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eghad
You may want to plan some grow room on it.....I outgrew my first reloading bench because you always buy more stuff I actually doubled the length.
At the moment I only have space for a compact desk like this. I hear you though, when I move in to a bigger place I probably build another bench of the same style with cupboards beneath if I need more space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc223
That bench is begging for a press.
Already got one with a set of dies waiting for this bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguysd
I don't know if it's available in your area but I just picked up a Kennedy 1550 Reloading table this weekend at Sportsman's Warehouse for $239 this weekend. If you can find one, it looks like it would be pretty close to your model but possibly with lower material and assembly costs.
Looks nifty, I haven't seen it here, but I'm looking to DIY this one. I'm no woodworking expert, but it'll be good to make rounds on a set-up I also made

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal
Leg Room: Judging by the rifle rest to the right, I assume the press will be mounted on the front. If so, you won’t need that much leg/foot room under the bench so you can put a shelf or two down there for stuff you don’t use much. Chances are, to be comfortable working the arm of the press, you’ll end up backed away and sitting at about a 30 degree angle with your left knee under the bench. Anything more than room for the chair to slide into will probably be a waste of space.
Shelves at the back underneath is an excellent idea! An extra storage space will help.

Quote:
Rifle rest: Looks really cool but I don’t know about using it when reloading. Then again, I’m really anal when it comes to imagining something vibrating against the finish of some rifles.
The rifle rests are pine, with the rests cut out with a hole-saw. A leather strip is then run across the whole thing so the rifle only touches leather. That way there is no wood on wood scratching.

Quote:
The drawers: Have you considered going full length ? I would probably make old fashioned wood runners lubricated with wax and talc (because I’m cheap). There are also side mount steel runner kits available that will go full length.
The draws are 450mm deep (about 18"). This is the longest rails I could find at the hardware shop capable of holding 40kgs (88 pounds). I think I'll stick with these rails as they will allow the entire draw to extend, without tipping. I'm considering making the top three draws more shallow so I can fit an extra one in.

Quote:
The top: I strongly suggest a raised edge around the perimeter to catch rolling things …especially if you are getting old (like me). I prefer a thicker top but if you use some nice big fender washers(better yet, a piece of plate steel a little larger than the base of your press and drilled to match it’s mounting holes) underneath when you mount the press, you should be ok. You might think of designing it so that you could add an additional layer of plywood to the top in case it flexes under strain.
I thought of having a raised edge, I'm still mulling that one over, if I do it'll be some slightly raised flashing around the edges. I have a few carpet tiles that I can throw on the table top to stop bits and pieces rolling around, so that may suffice. As far as the top flexing, I don't think that will be an issue. The 20mm plywood top sits on a sturdy frame and there is also a support beam that runs across the middle to stop the centre flexing.

Quote:
If you haven’t guessed, I’m into overkill. My bench is a little larger than yours and built mostly out of 2"x8"lumber on a 4"x4" frame with an additional layer of ¼" plywood on the top(to have a smooth replaceable surface) and a beading around the perimeter to catch rolling things. It has 2 shelves above the top and one shelf below with no drawers. Progressive press is mounted on right side and a removable single stage press in the middle, and a MEC press on the left.

Where I screwed up: I built mine before the press arrived and wouldn't you know it ... one hole of the press lined up perfectly with a frame member underneath GRRRRR ! A lag screw kept backing out so I was forced to take a chisel to it to get a bolt in there.

Taking suggestions from others is a good precaution ... as long as you keep in mind it's your bench and build it the way you want it.
Exactly! This will be built to last. I'm hoping exposing my plans here will help remind me of anything I've missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donttellthewife
If your staying compact space must be at a premium, so the bench may serve double duty. If you mount your press in a way that allows you to mount and un-mount it without ruining the top you can use it for other firearm related jobs or just mount other presses. Here is a pic of what I did to mount the presses I have that allow me to move them.
Looks like an effective solution. Do they sit there on their own weight? Or are they bolted or clamped? I'll use my bench for cleaning my rifles also. I'll have my press clamped in place for a while until I'm happy with an exact position. If it's in the way when cleaning rifles etc, then I'll look at a similar system to yours I think.

Page generated in 0.03963 seconds with 8 queries