View Single Post
Old December 5, 2005, 08:21 AM   #32
WhyteP38

Judging by his expressed attitude and actions, I believe McKown had little or no training. Sounds like he started off with the right idea--get a CCW to protect himself and others--but he never completed the job--train yourself. Sadly, I've too often see people who do exactly that: assume that just having the gun itself is sufficient to provide security. Actually, it's just one of many components.

Every self-defense firearms training I've attended, including my local CCW class, has warned people to take cover if they can. Talking to an armed man who has already fired shots, whether you've seen him hit anyone or not, is a bad idea. A pistol is generally no match for a rifle, but it's better than nothing, so holstering your best hope is also a bad idea. Leaving cover so you can confront, unarmed, someone who is firing shots? Not good. McKown had to at least believe this whack-job was the shooter and not the police, else he would not have verbally tried to stop him. So his actions make no sense.

McKown didn't deserve to be shot, so for that reason I feel for the guy. But he is an example of what NOT to do in this kind of situation. If he wasn't prepared to deal with the situation, he should have laid low, hoped for the best, and waited it out rather than draw attention to himself. Instead, he did exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Page generated in 0.02149 seconds with 8 queries