View Single Post
Old November 15, 2009, 10:16 PM   #13
Malamute

I've loaded shot loads in 45 Colt and 45-70 using wonder wads (felt wads) over the powder, then No 9 shot, then either a gas check crimped on top, or card wads made from milk cartons cut out with an old junk case shapened with a deburring tool. I lightly stake crimped over the top of the card wad in 4 spots, and sealed with a touch of shellac.

15 feet is about as far as the patterns have stayed good for me, after that, the ones I've tried start to open up noticably. 10 feet is better tho. Thats enough to kill snakes.

30-30 with round ball loads work well also, as do 45-70 round ball loads, for snakes as well as small game.

Someone mentioned that beyond a particular distance they arent dangerous. That isnt exactly my concern, I tend to shoot snakes around my place, or anywhere I'm out with my dogs so I dont have a problem in the future. I've almost stepped on a bunch of them, had one dog bit and almost die, one in the house once, under the porch steps in the dark, in the yard, in the barn door that I stepped over going in and only saw coming out, and had dogs either walk right by them or had one come out of a bush behind a dog from behind. I just can't arouse too much sympathy for snakes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Page generated in 0.02280 seconds with 8 queries