Thread: M1A vs Fal
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Desert01

Chris,

That might be what the book says, however the Sniper configuration of the M-14 is the M-21 and a limited number of M-25's(?). Visualy they appair the same, but the M-21 is best compared to a National Match M-1A/14, not a rack grade M-14. The M-21 was the standard Army Sniper Rifle from the 60's until the M-24 Sniper Weapon System (Remington 700) was adopted in the mid-late 80's. The M-24 may be on the way out in the next two- three years if the Knight M-110 Semi-Auto Sniper System ever gets into the field. Some units retained the M-21 for special purposes after the M-24 came on line. Firing from a moving Helo, ala Blackhawk Down would be a good example of special purposes.

Today a lot of "rack grade" M-14's are being pushed into service as "Designated Marksman Rifles". They are often erroniously refered to as "sniper" rifles, but are far from it. A few have also been converted by Smith Enterprises, illegaly per procurement standards. These so called "Crazy Horse" rifles may classify has sniper rifles under loose terms. Snipers and Designated Marksmen serve very differant roles.

DSA did submit a FAL Sniper Rifle to the XM-110 Trails, but it was not selected. Not sharing a manual of arms with the M-16 family and a overly complicated stock probably had something to do with that. Has a battle rifle the FAL has a lot going for it and is probably the most widely used Battle Rifle in the world. Beat up versions are still around fighting wars all over the world. My own rifle is about 50 years old and still going. The M-14 never realy caught on any where but here.

Last edited by Desert01; June 11, 2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added commentsJason thanks for the Crazy horse Correction, I most have had those Springer White Feathers on my mind!

Page generated in 0.02554 seconds with 8 queries