Thread: M1A vs Fal
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2007, 05:31 PM   #16
nagib otayek

The FAL in the 1975-76 Lebanese War

During the 1975-76 war in Lebanon, the Palestinian Militias were armed by Syria mostly with AK 47 assault rifles with the intention to take over the country and force the Christian population to take refuge in Canada and Australia. As the lebanese army desintegrated, christians managed to take over many of the army's depots including a few thousands FAL 7.62. and later bought or received as a gift a generous lot of M16s from Israel. At the time I was in Lebanon and close to the Christian Lebanese Forces Militia. I observed that the AK47 was no match to the FAL in accuracy or range. Its advantage (the AK47) is the simplicity of its mecanism and maintainance. The 30 round curved magazines seem an advantage compared to the 20 rounds of the FAL, but the straight magazine of the FAL with little practice, can be rested on the knee of the sitting shooter and accuracy is considerably boosted. With the FAL and the M16 the christian militias kept the palestinians at bay and won momorable battles, in the cities and in the mountains. As to the MK14 I don't have firsthand information to comment.

Page generated in 0.02306 seconds with 8 queries