Thread: M1A vs Fal
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2007, 11:16 PM   #20
Chris Phelps

Quote:
The M-24 may be on the way out in the next two- three years if the Knight M-110 Semi-Auto Sniper System ever gets into the field.
The XM110 has already found its way to the battlefields, and is currently in the hands of quite a few Army snipers. IMO, it will serve much better than the bolt action rifles for conflicts such as the one we are fighting right now, but I seriously doubt the military will shelf the M-24 entirely. It will still have its part to play. I think the XM110 was never intended as a replacement, but rather, as an addition to the toolbox.

Quote:
Mind you, in jungles, so did the early M-16's.
The M16A2s and M-4s (and all other AR variants) are fairing poorly in the sandbox too. There have been a few H&Ks fielded recently for testing. These new rifles have a piston in place of the standard gas tube blowback design of the current rifles. I have not yet read any extensive reports on the new system, but initial reports indicated the chances of failure in desert warfare were 1/4 that of the current rifles. I will be looking forward to seeing where the military will take this.

Of course, this could just be another one of those military trial (and eventually dismissal) phases, much like the 6.5 Grendel. That is an amazing cartridge, and was being tested among a few different specops units, but it seems to have died out. Too bad.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06

Page generated in 0.02853 seconds with 8 queries