Thread: M1A vs Fal
View Single Post
Old June 12, 2007, 10:48 AM   #21
HorseSoldier

Quote:
I seriously doubt the military will shelf the M-24 entirely.
Bolt guns are going to 300 Win Mag. At least in SOF units, but big army seems to follow those developments with a few years to catch up.

Quote:
The M16A2s and M-4s (and all other AR variants) are fairing poorly in the sandbox too. There have been a few H&Ks fielded recently for testing. These new rifles have a piston in place of the standard gas tube blowback design of the current rifles. I have not yet read any extensive reports on the new system, but initial reports indicated the chances of failure in desert warfare were 1/4 that of the current rifles. I will be looking forward to seeing where the military will take this.
HK 416 claims 3-4 times as many rounds fired without stoppage, not 1/4 the chance of stoppage. Since the M4 clocked 5000+ rounds between stoppage without cleaning, I'd have to say it's kind of irrelevant, as I don't know anyone who's ever been in a situation where they had to fire 5000 rounds through a rifle or carbine without a chance to clean.

416 does run better with a suppressor, and does run easier at very short barrel lengths, which might explain why it's populat with the current users.

Quote:
Of course, this could just be another one of those military trial (and eventually dismissal) phases, much like the 6.5 Grendel. That is an amazing cartridge, and was being tested among a few different specops units, but it seems to have died out. Too bad.
Grendel was never under serious consideration by any military unit. 6.8 Rem SPC was seriously looked at by SOCOM as a 5.56mm replacement, but the pluses did not offset the minuses after field trials. You can get most of the thump and less of the logistical headaches by putting 77 grain Mk 262 and more 7.62mm long guns in the mix.

Page generated in 0.03157 seconds with 8 queries