Thread: M1A vs Fal
View Single Post
Old June 12, 2007, 02:52 PM   #25
HorseSoldier

Quote:
Somehow that doesn't surprise me. the 300 winmag is supposed to be accurate to what... 1200m? The only thing surprising about that is the fact that they aren't moving to 338 Lapua.
There are some 338 Lapua bolt guns out there as well. Kind of depends on which branch of service (or SOF units thereof) you're talking about.

Quote:
The Grendel was under consideration by the military the same time as the SPC. what they found was the SPC offered no ballistic advantage over the 5.56mm cartridge, but the Grendel offered nearly identical ballistics to the 308 round out to 800 yards, with just slightly more recoil than the 5.56mm. I have not heard any updates since that report, but there is still muffled talk on the military sniper forums about 6.5 Grendel chambered rifles still in use.
6.8mm Rem SPC was the only one that ever had any official backing by SOCOM (no one else ever considered either round at the time, though the USMC has looked at 6.8 Rem SPC since then, though not seriously, by which I mean, without $$$ to do lots of testing and eval). It did what it was advertised as doing -- more thump and enhanced performance at practical (0-400m) ranges. But it also meant a loss of all ammunition commonality with Big Army and other branches, and fixed a problem that was overstated to begin with (5.56mm lethality seems only to be a problem on the internet).

SOCOM did not trial Grendel at all, to the best of my knowledge, nor did it ever have any official backing or interest. The Tier One guys may have (and may be using it), but so far as I know, no one in White Side SOF units is using Grendel or has used Grendel. Alexander Arms may claim otherwise to sell more stuff, but I've seen no evidence to back up the internet buzz about SOF types using Grendel. 6.8mm Rem SPC barely got its foot, briefly, in the door, and Grendel would seem to still be out in the cold entirely (again, unless CAG is using it). For dedicated sniping there are much better rounds, and for a basic service carbine it's ballistics at 600+ meters are pretty much irrelevant.

Page generated in 0.02814 seconds with 8 queries