View Single Post
Old March 8, 2001, 04:14 PM   #1
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

On Monday, March 5th, I received The GunGrip from Mad Dog Labs for my 1911 Govt. After reading the different reviews and claims from TFL and Tactical Forums, I was very curious about these grips. So, I set forth to test their claims.

The GunGrip is made out of proprietary composite material used for the handle of the MadDog knives Navy SEAL A.T.A.K. knife. The bushings are made from stainless steel. In addition, there’s a relief cut for the mag release. Unlike many wood grips, the diameter of the bushings is perfect for the ease of installing and removing the grips.

My first impressions of the grips were not very kind. The grips looked to be very plain Jane for price ($80). I figured, hell, for $80, I could’ve had a nice set of Spegel presentation grade exotic wood grips. In addition, they were a bit thicker and heavier then standard wood grips. Moreover, the grips felt very slick in my hand.

Initially, I installed them on my Les Baer just to get a feel for the grips. After holding the gun in my hands, it felt a bit awkward due to the extra thickness (not much but noticeable). After careful inspection, the thought “tough as nails” went through my mind. The grips seemed to be nearly indestructible.

Since MD Labs claim that The GunGrips are “Highly resistant/impermeable to commonly encountered chemicals and liquids- Diesel fuel, gasoline, and other petroleum based products, insect repellent, bore solvents and gun cleaning chemicals” I had to test this out myself. So, I soaked them in Sweets 7.62 then Shooters Choice for 36+ hours. Doing this to an expensive set of wood grips is a death wish and a major sin to the wood Gods.

Once I removed the grips from the cleaning solutions, I soaked them in warm water soapy water for an hour. Afterwards, I sprayed some Simple Green and Windex then wiped the grips down. The cleaning solution did absolutely no damage to the composite material. Simple Green and/or Windex cleaned the grips quite easily. They dried very fast because MDL’s claim about the grips being waterproof is true.

One note, after removal from the cleaning solutions, the grips were discolored (drab gray). However, a couple small dabs of oil brought them back to life.

One might ask, "Why on earth would you soak them in gun cleaning solution?" Well the answer is actually quite simple, sometimes I’m done with a range session but do not want to completely clean the gun because I would be heading back to the range shortly. Yet, I’d like to wipe off the crude that’s on the frame and slide. Before, I always made sure I took the wood grips off prior to the wipe down. However, with MDL’s grips, that extra step is not necessary.

I range tested the grips a wee bit different then normal. Normally, I’d sandbag the gun then shoot some groups offhand. However, I was testing the durability and feel of the grips, not the gun’s accuracy. Therefore, I did a bunch of draws from my holster and firing. Afterwards, I coated the grips with Mobil 1 to see if they would get slicker. On the contrary, I did not experience any additional slippage! My grip on the gun was actually much firmer once they were “wet”.

Next, I installed the grips on my beat up Springfield for some “torture” tests. The Springfield was (YIKES) dropped on the pavement at the range several times. Since these grips are ideal for a working gun (the Springfield looks like that!), I did not care if they were to possibly be nicked or scraped. Upon close inspection after the drops, no damage was done to the grips. Well, I concluded that anything short of purposely cutting the grips with a sharp edge, they’re damn near indestructible.

The relief cut for the mag release is a very nice feature. In addition to being a great idea, its very ergonomic to use!

In conclusion, I’m very old fashion when it comes to metal and wood. Too often, the hype of “space age” material does not excite me. Most of the time, they just feel like plastic in my hands. Functional yes, eye and hand please? No. However, these grips are outstanding for a working gun. Depending on your tastes, they are not as pretty as Cocobolo or Rosewood if you prefer the reddish tints or lighter grain colors. However, for the “tactical” look, they definitely fit the bill. If you have very small hands, the bit of extra thickness from Mad Dog’s grips may be an annoyance. In addition, if you are weight sensitive, the extra weight may bother you. However, I look at it this way, I’m already carrying over 44 oz on my hip, what’s another ounce?

Everything Mad Dog Lab claims about the grip is true. These grips are damn near indestructible and impermeable to various cleaning solutions. If you appreciate a good working gun, these grips are the ideal companion for your 1911. They’re not cheap by any means. $80 for matte bead blast finish and $100 for the presentation grade hand polished, high gloss finish. However, quality is definitely something that’s not cheap. If you’re interested in getting a set, you can get more info on ordering here:
http://64.177.53.248/cgi-bin/tactica...Labs+&number=5

Maybe next time, I’ll try to set them on fire

PS
I do not work nor am associated with Mad Dog Labs in any way. Hell, this was the first item I ever received from them. I’ve always heard that MD made some very nice knives and kydex holsters but never pulled the trigger to purchase either.

Page generated in 0.03575 seconds with 8 queries