View Single Post
Old June 8, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Wrangler5

Saving Chrono Data

Aa a 20+ year reloader I only got around to buying a chronograph last year when I saw a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master on promotion at Midway and said - what the heck. After the first use I got to wondering how I had lived without one so long.

But (you knew it was coming, didn't you?) keeping track of the data is starting to be a real nuisance. I load for 380ACP, 38 and 357, 9mm Luger, 9mm Makarov, 44 Mag, 45ACP and Auto Rim, and 45 Colt. Eventually I'll chrono my 223, 308 and 30-06 loads, as well as some 30-30 loads I'll be working up with a friend of mine this fall. What I've done so far is keep track of each string as it's shot at the range, then come home and print out the statistics on the Chrony printer, mark each set of numbers with the load data and date, cut the printer tape apart and lay related sets on a copier, where they're copied onto a single sheet of paper, which then goes into a 3-ring notebook for future reference.

There's got to be an easier way. I don't want to type numbers into a spreadsheet or ballistic database (life's too short.) And I would like a way to back up the data - at the moment my backup is saving all the little printouts.

Chrony offers some sort of hookup to a PC that looks like it would dump the data into a PC, but it's described as DOS software and the format in which it ends up is not specified. I've looked at the specs for the CED Millennium chrono, and it looks like it comes with no printer but with a PC connection and download software that puts the data into an Excel spreadsheet, which I can easily deal with. And back up easily. So I'm thinking about selling the Chrony and moving to a CED.

Do any of you have experience with one or both of these chronos that would suggest either (a) I can get what I want out of the Chrony software kit (i.e., simple download to a standard PC application) and/or (b) I would actually get what I'm thinking I would get from the CED unit?

Thanks for the benefit of any experience.

Page generated in 0.03594 seconds with 8 queries