Thread: "Ruining meat"
View Single Post
Old December 3, 2007, 12:58 PM   #18
jimbob86

.270 vs. deer

I've used a .270 WIN to take deer from 15 feet to (laser range finder) 460 yards. I have not had any problem ruining meat. I took 2 bucks this year, both under 30 yards, both deer facing me straight on. Neither of the SIERRA Gameking 150grain BTSPs (leaving at @ 2925 f/s)penetrated the diaphram. Both made hash out of the lungs........ the first deer went down immediately, but started to get up when I ran up to him. A pistol shot to the base of the skull put him back down. The second buck ran 25 yards, hit a tree an was stone dead by th time I walked over to him.

The worst I have ever messed up a deer was a button-buck I tried to get cute on a few years back........I had an open sighted 30/30 and tried to shoot him "between the eyes" at 25 yards as he was looking straight at me. The 170 grain Nosler Partition passed through his left eye, hit him high on the left shoulder, tearing up the front 2/3rds fo the left backstrap, crossing over the spine without cutting it and exiting out the right backstrap. I trailed him 150 yards through deep snow, caught up with him as he was limping away, and put another bullet through him on almost the same axis, only going the other way! The second one clipped his spine and put him down, but I still had to shoot him in the head........ what should have been som of the best venison I ever had was pretty much destroyed........ I have avoided controlled expansion and bonded bullets ever since. Hitting a deer in the front of the chest with one of those is virtually guaranteeing a bullet that passes through the guts..........messymessy:barf:

Page generated in 0.03390 seconds with 8 queries