View Single Post
Old April 28, 2009, 04:11 AM   #2
HiBC

This is my understanding,which could be wrong.

George Washington hired Baron VonSteuben to help make his men more effective.VonSteuben made up a training pictorial booklet that showed the steps of loading,aiming and firing in the fashion of the time.This booklet was called "Von Steubens Regulations"

And so,it seems,"well regulated" meant,in this context,a firearms proficiency which,if duty called on the citizen,would allow him to be militarily effective .
At that time,volley fire in ranks was still employed,I think.So,the rank might be well regulated if they all placed effective fire in the same general direction.

I'm thinking of how the term "regulated" was used if the folks at Holland and Holland were making a fine double rifle,and would make both barrels shoot true to the sights.

Then,in WW2 an aircraft crew cheif might regulate the 50 cals on a p-51 Mustang,making all the guns shoot to the same cone of fire,or "regulate the guns" might be applied to artillery,in all cases,it is about getting multiple guns to deliver effective fire.Thomas Jefferson might have a well regulated set of Manton duelling pistols.
And,for what it is worth,"security of the free state",perhaps,rather this means not the political entity "state" but "the state of being free.Liberty.

So,to paraphrase, To preserve a state of being free,the common citizens may need to drop the tools of trade,pick up their arms,and come together to be an effective fighting force,so,the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Actually sounds rather Swiss.

Page generated in 0.03517 seconds with 8 queries