View Single Post
Old April 28, 2009, 10:55 AM   #22
BlueTrain

George Mason, gentleman planter and neighbor to George Washington, had a hand in drafting some of the ideas that were covered in the bill of rights. I take particular delight in pointing that out because my wife is a direct decendant of George Mason (which I have no doubt mentioned here before many times), she being the great-granddaughter of his great-grandson. One of Mason's granddaughters married General Samuel Cooper, CSA, and another married Robert E. Lee's brother and was the mother of Fitzhugh Lee. This, after all, is Virginia, where we worship ancestors. Most of that has absolutely no bearing on the issue at hand but I enjoy teasing my wife over George Mason's role in the bill of rights.

Mason had more than a little to say on the subject of the right to bear arms, unfortuately most of which was not voted on by any legislative body. But it is still interesting reading. In any event, I suspect that they would have all found our present twisting of words, commas, and meanings to be amusing.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02276 seconds with 8 queries