Thread: Mag springs?!
View Single Post
Old July 11, 2001, 12:03 AM   #18
weldonjr2001

Johnny Rad,
I have a Beretta 92FSC. When I decided to use +P ammo in it I ordered a stronger recoil spring to prevent battering and get the ejection distance back to what it was with non +P. I started have occasional failures to feed in what had been a 100% reliable pistol. After racking my brain I figured out that the stronger recoil spring was closing the slide faster and the stronger recoil was forcing the cartridges in the magazine downward more under recoil. I figured the slide was trying to feed a cartridge that wasn't always back in proper feeding position in the magazine. I ordered some Wolff +5% magazine springs and that has positively cured the problem. The springs in the magazines were about 3 years old and I had always kept the 13 round mags downloaded by one. Having said all that, in 25 years of shooting GOOD semi-auto's I've never had a failure to feed and have never changed a magazine spring in a gun that has the factory strength recoil spring in it and was used with the factory supplied magazines. So basically by using a stronger that factory recoil spring I had modified the manufacturer's design and the stronger magazine springs brought it back into balance. My humble opinion.

Page generated in 0.04086 seconds with 8 queries