View Single Post
Old November 15, 2023, 10:04 PM   #15
rc

I remember reading an article years ago, probably in American rifleman. The article talked about the relationship between shotgun patterns and bore size. The bigger shotgun bore puts out a shorter flatter (more square) shot pattern given the same amount and size of shot. Shot doesn't just spread out in a circle, it strings out horizontally as it exits the bore so it doesn't reach the target at exactly the same time creating space for a moving target to slip through. Think about how a 3 inch 410 performs on clays with a long shot string compared with a 2&3/4 28 gauge's shorter shot string with about the same amount of shot. 1 oz of shot from a 12 gauge has a more effective pattern than 1 oz of the same size shot from a 20 gauge unless your target is just standing still. One other thing to consider is the cost of 1 oz 20 gauge shells verses 7/8 oz shells which are the same price as 1 oz 12 gauge loads. I've never noticed much of a difference between 1&1/8 oz 12 gauge "target loads" and 1 oz "field loads" for breaking clays. I suspect the same is true for 7/8 oz of 8 shot vs 1 oz of 8 shot in 20 gauge. The only reason to really step up to 1 oz in a 20 gauge is when you up your shot size and need to keep your pellet count high enough for an effective pattern.

Page generated in 0.02218 seconds with 8 queries