View Single Post
Old July 5, 2009, 08:48 AM   #13
sauerfan

Quote:
Martin,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it does have the eagle/n on the slide. However, the eagle is less clear than the one under the serial number. The eagle/n stamp under the serial number is undoubtedly deeper on the (eagle's) right, and less obvious on the left (even though I can't get it to show on a picture - the whole wing is visible). The other 38 I have (S/N 284103) also has an eagle/n stamp which is more pronounced on the (eagle's) right.
Matt,

OK, all proof eagles are present, that’s a good sign. Nevertheless, I can’t make a final statement if the engraving is period or post war. At lot of GIs ordered engravings on their captured pistols - costs only were some packs of cigarettes.

Just out of curiosity: does your 284103 has eagle/C or eagle/37 acceptance or no acceptance on left trigger guard?

Quote:
From what I read, weren't most of the presentation guns PP/PPKs and not a 38H. I don't know that I've ever even seen a pic of a 38H engraved presenation piece.
Winchester73,

Well, I agree with you insofar, as I also have seen more presentation PP/PPKs than Sauers. But there are some….

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of misinformation published on those guns, perhaps no more than on others, but there is not a lot of solid info to counter the errors.
Jim,

Yes, you are right. What you can find on the internet regarding Sauers (but also regarding other pistols) is full of errors. But there is solid info available: the two volumes of Jim Cates’ book “J. P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl, Waffenstadt – a historical study on automatic pistols”. Volume I (Jim Cate / Nico van Gijn) is out of print unfortunately and only available on ebay from time to time, while volume II (Jim Cate / Martin Krause) still is for sale.

Regards

Martin

Page generated in 0.03074 seconds with 8 queries