View Single Post
Old August 10, 2009, 02:07 AM   #16
Dannyl

Intervening and drawing a firearm

Hi,
I have intervened twice in my life, but never drawn a firearm in these instances. ( althouh the 2nd incident involve my GF, so it is not the same as intervening to help a stranger).
one was when a chap was trying to take a woman's bag, it was in a crowded place and she held onto it long enough for 3 of us bystanders to get hold of him, I did not count the punches we gave him, but in any case the cop who took him away said they were not enough ( he had bee arrested before for the same offence, in the same spot and was out on bail)

In this instance there was no weapon visible and he had both hands on her bag, it is a good thing because the place was way too crowded to even think about drawing or using a firearm.

In the second event, I was in my yard washing my car, then my GF comes running with a vargrant following close behind her, I put my hand on my firearm, and shouted to him that he better stop, I then made him sit on the ground, and wait for the cops (which my GF had called as soon as I had him under control). my gun never left the holster, if he tried to flee I would have let him, but if he decided to press on, it is another story. we reported the shole incident to the cops, and after taking our statements it ended there as far as we are concerned.

My GF (now my wife) was very apologetic about leaving her Browning HP at home in the safe, it was rare for her not to have it on her, my guess it was this chap's lucky day. (She used to work as a part-time instructor in a range, and still is very adept with a handgun and a rifle)

As for the incident described in the opening post, I will not even think about drawing a firearm in a crowded street to aprehend a thief, I may ask a question or two if I see someone behing held at gun-point, but only after taking cover, and ascertaining that my actions will not escalate the events into a shooting in a crowed place.

Once again, carrying a firearm gives us a ton of responsibilities, and not one extra right. It may be drawn and used only when there is no other way to prevent ourselves or another person from being physically hurt or killed.

Our laws here are VERY tough; drawing a firearm can be considered pointing it, and a warning shot can be considered attempted-murder so we are in general very conservative about resorting to a firearm.

This leads me to one last bit of advice, if you have drawn a firearm, or moreoever, if you have had to use it you should think about resisting the urge to tell the cops everything about it ( like in this case, telling them that you said you were a cop). remember that you have no obligation to say anything that may incriminate you, and rather take some time to let the adrenaline wear-off, collect your thoughts and think about the implications of what you are going to say, and if necessary ask your lawyer for advice.

Some cops are so desperate (here at least) to get some crime stopping stats that they will easily restor to turning a good samaritan into a criminal if it helps their month end statistics.

Brgds,
Danny

Last edited by Dannyl; August 10, 2009 at 02:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.02700 seconds with 8 queries