View Single Post
Old May 30, 2001, 02:58 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sorry, Madkiwi, it often doesn't work like that.

You can fear for your life, and you can use deadly force to protect yourself in the face of an imminent threat, but running after, and shooting someone in the back when they're down, is grounds for a manslaughter/murder charge and very possible conviction.

Right or wrong, there is tons of case law on this. The predicate fear defense is a tough one to construct and win, and there are a lot of women in prison whose attorneys tried it, and lost. Even when there is compelling, long-term abuse with high probability of more abuse in the future, it's an extremely tough case to win.

A good prosecutor would likely argue that the woman's actions weren't based on predicate fear (I THINK that's the correct term), but on... revenge.

A counter argument to that angle could be severe temporary emotional disturbance, again a real crap shoot, which the successful use of has as much to do with getting a sympathetic jury as it does the skill of your defense.

If the woman goes to trial, and if the facts of the case are basically those related in the articles, I'd say it's a 50/50 chance her walking/going to jail.

My gut feeling, though, says 60/40, with her going to jail more likely than not.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.02902 seconds with 8 queries