View Single Post
Old May 30, 2001, 01:19 PM   #17
El Rojo

I was thinking about this the other day.

As I was waiting in a very slow line at the Big K, I was running some senarios through my head should an armed robber come in through the door there and hold up the register. I do this often when I am carrying and I think it is a good idea to plan ahead, plus it gives me something to do as it takes 5 minutes for the manager to bring some extra change to the register.

There were some kids at the front of the line and if an armed robber was holding a gun to the clerk's head, I would have had a tough time shooting him with so many kids around. I also thought about what if the guy just took off out the door if I announced my precense. In the PRK, I think I am going to let a guy with a gun run out the door. I don't think it would be a good idea to shoot him in the back. Now our local police department shoots armed robbers all of the time. It is like their claim to fame. They pride themselves of riding the world of these armed robbers who come up from LA and try to pull one over in our county. Very often the criminals career is permenantly ended by the Bakersfield Police. Even guys who are running away across empy fields get shot in the back.

I could say that I observed a threat to the public as a police officer would. But without a department to back me up and without the official training to hide behind, I don't think it is worth it. If I am in a situation and the guy runs away, I am going to opt to keep a bead on him until he is out of sight. And even then, I will still remain on guard until I am positive they are not going to come running back in. The whole point is if I don't have to take a life, then I won't. I am not interested in lawsuits and losing my firearm as evidence. I am not interested in being instant justice. I am only interested in using the minimal force necessary to stop a direct threat to my life or other lives around me.

Page generated in 0.03373 seconds with 8 queries