View Single Post
Old July 14, 2008, 08:43 AM   #1
the_pragmaticist

Polish that feed ramp!

I've been having increasing feed issues with jhp in my 1911 (springfield SS champion loaded), to the point where I had switched to ball rounds for carry while I found a solution. Wilson magazines didn't really improve things (though 1 more round is always nice).

The feed ramp never looked bad and never felt rough, but I am no gunsmith. I decided to polish it using a dremel, with a small cloth wheel and some buffing compound at medium speed. I was amazed at how much it actually cleaned up - shines like a mirror now. I also noted that the rounds sort of slide up the frame under the feed ramp before they actually hit the ramp - this area was noticeably rough and it had some particulate (lead / copper) buildup as well. In went the dremel, now that area shines too.

Long and the short is, now it feeds so reliably that I regret not doing this months ago. The gun would feed 49 out of 50 or so during firing but almost every manual rack would jam and require some futzing. Now it doesn't even require a slingshot - just releasing the slide will cause it to feed correctly even with JHP. If anyone is having feeding issues with a 1911, though it has been said before, definitely give this a shot. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes.

(ps....you can also remove "idiot marks" from the takedown lever with a buffing wheel, provided they're not too deep)

Page generated in 0.03784 seconds with 8 queries