View Single Post
Old August 17, 2000, 02:24 PM   #1
Dave3006

It is a trend to tout the .223 carbine as an urban weapon. Read any gun rag. Look at the newsgroups. There are plenty of
classes labeled "urban carbine" teaching people to use this weapon in the city for everything from home defense to situations to
riots. I used to believe short barreled AR15 carbine would be the ideal weapon due to it's user friendliness, versatility, and ammo
capacity.

Then, I did a simple penetration test at 25 yards with hollowpoint and FMJ ammunition. I was completely shocked at the results.
This weapon, in an urban environment, will dramatically penetrate into building material if you miss the bad guy. You don't
believe me? Try it yourself. You owe it to yourself. The result could very likely be the death of an innocent person in a nearby
house. I know people say .223 penetrates less than 9mm... blah...blah... Maybe it does? Have you tried it personally? Don't
take my word for it. Try testing .223 in something simulating the outside of your neighbors house. And, then ask yourself - What
if I miss?

My conclusion is that the "urban carbine" is a myth. The only long gun suitable for urban situations is a shotgun. I know I will
get flamed. Do me a favor, do not flame me until you have tried your own test. Then you can than me. I love rifles. They are
more fun to shoot than shotguns or handguns for me. They are perfect for rural situations or full scale war. They are NOT
urban weapons.

Page generated in 0.03546 seconds with 8 queries