View Single Post
Old September 17, 2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Duxman

Knoxx Comstock TEST!!!

Finally after a long wait: The in-depth review of the Knoxx Spec Ops comstock.

Delivery and purchase - The website was clean and well illustrated, with many video examples and pictures of the Comstock. I drooled over and decided to go with the Spec Ops to mate with my Mossberg 590.

A little over a week later - the package had arrived. My bulldog decided to naw on it after UPS left it in the backyard. But luckily after ripping up the box and some of the plastic padding - he left it alone: +1 to Knoxx for very good packaging. Things are looking good so far.

I am not a gunsmith - so I do not have all the fancy tools. First issue - when I looked over the instructions - several not so common household tools are needed to take the original mossberg stock off the weapon - a long extension for the ratchet tool, or a very long flat head screwdriver. The Spec Ops stock also needs a special ball end hex wrench in 3/16 to attach to the shotgun.

My heart sank as I would have to wait a few days to go to Lowe's and buy the tools due to work and other commitments. (-1 to Knoxx for not giving us this data on the website) When I purchased the tools needed, I luckily got a full set of ball end hex wrenches. Because the 3/16 size mentioned in the manual did not fit the special screw. I had to go 2 sizes higher! But I did have the full set - so no problems. The instructions could use a few more pictures as to how exactly to fit the stock into the shotgun.

Major peeve: Because of the way Mossberg designed the release catch for the slide - you have to change your grip when using a pistol grip / spec ops stock to release the slide safety catch on the left side of the trigger. Unless you have a super long thumb. (which I do not...) -1 to design.

The look of the stock, and its feel is excellent. Well built, solid feel. Makes the gun look more dangerous. It in fact makes it downright intimidating (+2)

Took the weapon to the NRA and fired 2 Federal Vitak Shok slugs (which would normally make my shoulder wince in pain). Nothing - no pain. The Knoxx delivers on its commitment to reduce 95% of felt recoil. The stock took the brunt and turned the recoil into a gentle push. I had 2 of my friends fire 1 shot each, and both agreed. (1 of them a first time shooter) - This is an excellent product and I highly recommend it to anyone who is not a fan of recoil. Go buy one today! (Note does not work with Mossberg 590 DA's)

I will now be firing my mossberg in joy a lot more thanks to Knoxx. (PS whats the warranty on this?)

Overall:

Looks: 9
Ergonomics: 9.5
Instructions: 5
Adjustability: 8
Recoil absorbtion: 11* (out of 10)

If you Knoxx engineers fix that lousy instruction manual (I suggest a web link with detailed step by step pictures) - it would be top notch all the way around. In short - I really like and would definately recommend this to anyone looking for a real solution to the 12 ga's felt recoil. Enjoy.

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries