View Single Post
Old June 26, 2002, 04:19 PM   #8
Jeeper

Melamine is just particle board that has a laminate coating over it. It is a lot like a formic counter top. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. It is used a lot to make those small premade cabinets. You shouldn’t have a problem finding it. Most of it is white. It comes in sheets like plywood. I always have used ¾ inch. They also usually sell it in precut widths like 15, 18, 24". I wouldn’t worry about having it crack if you support the area around your presses. Make a good solid frame and you should be fine. My presses were bolted through the Melamine and then into 2x6’s on their sides. I never had any problems and seriously doubt I ever would have. I would really suggest looking at this option since it will stand up to the solvents or other cleaners you might use. It is really tough stuff. In addition it always stays clean and is very smooth so you don’t need to finish it. If you use plywood you would need to sand it and apply a finish.

Page generated in 0.02684 seconds with 8 queries