View Single Post
Old April 23, 2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The spring side-loaded detent pin snaps into notches in the elevation screw head in the Eliason sight. This should be all you need to keep it from turning during firing. If you lost the old screw during firing, then either the detent failed or the assembly pin fell out. I've watched someone's detent pin come out during firing. My own Series 70 Goldcup used to lose the dog-legged cross-pin that assembles the sight to the slide and serves as the elevation pivot. So make sure you actually have all the parts. If the whole sight came off during firing, replace the cross-pin with a roll pin that allows free pivoting.

Keep in mind this is a sight elevation adjustment screw. Even though not permenent, blue LocTite will impede your ability to turn it easily and to feel the detent clicks. This matters when you have hearing protection on and there is too much firing around you to hear the clicks. If your sight picture changes with lighting conditions, as mine does, you want to be able to adjust the sight easily and by feel; perhaps even in the middle of a slow-fire string as cloud cover changes. I wouldn't really want to have to turn against LocTite to do that. If that screw is falling out, you have to fix the detent mechanism.

For such a simple mechanism, the Eliason sight causes its fair share of grief. Good luck with it.

Nick

Page generated in 0.02633 seconds with 8 queries