View Single Post
Old November 9, 2000, 02:06 PM   #10
krept

Uh oh... Ammo war!

It was my understanding that when the .223 hit bone, it would deflect and tumble more, not turn into the mythical grenade. Also, it is my understanding that a significant amount of damage from a rifle bullet is caused by the yawing once it hits soft tissue. The studies that many people like to quote show the 7.62x39 (not the .308 nato) steel core as having a tendancy to yaw well after it has exited the target but the lead core (called Yugoslav ammo by Fackler) had a larger wound channel than the .223 because of the same yaw.

Now, there are those who claim that the .223, when at the apex of the yaw, has the ability to split at the cannelure and detonate like a grenade. Ok.

.308 NATO is a whole different animal all together.
Back to the rifle issue... (we can start an "ammo choice" thread too)
If I could pick ANY rifle it would be a hard choice between the M1A and the G36. Given a choice between a G36 and an AR, HK all the way.

My thoughts on the AR: if it is such a bad design, I see no reason why our special forces, military, Israel's military etc. all use the design? I just have more fun shooting the AK, that's all.

Page generated in 0.03894 seconds with 8 queries