View Single Post
Old January 19, 2000, 02:21 PM   #23
Keith Rogan

Trying to reply to several people in one note here...

The gentleman who recently fought a Kodiak bear with a knife was a fellow named Gene Moe. He was boning out a deer when he was attacked and he went to town with the knife and managed to drive the bear back until he could grab his rifle and shoot her dead. He survived but will probably never regain full use of one of his arms. That attack happened just a few miles from here.

Another attack during the same week here in Kodiak resulted in the death of a deer hunter. Similar situation, he was packing out venison when he was hit by the bear.
This attack happened in almost the exact spot where I was mauled and I can't help but wonder if this wasn't the same bear.

About a year ago, a 14 year old boy named Cody Mills was attacked by a browny down in Hoonah Alaska and he also managed to put up enough fight that the bear backed down and departed - Cody is also going to have some scars and permanent damage. This kid was bitching to the newspaper because the bear departed with his knife sticking in its throat and he never got it back. I sent him a Buck collectors edition "Kodiak" knife. I would love to meet this kid, they raise them tough down in Hoonah.

These are just a few of the more than dozen maulings in the state over the last year.

[This message has been edited by Keith Rogan (edited January 19, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02725 seconds with 8 queries