View Single Post
Old September 25, 2001, 04:13 PM   #20
UltimaThule

I have no personal experience with bears, but I know for a fact that ignorance is no disqualification for an "expert commentator" - I work in the media

Our local brown bears are not a serious problem. There are few of them and they are quite shy, usually they disappear long before you get close enough to be in danger. In the Svalbard islands, half way between mainland Norway and the North Pole, there is a growing population of polar bears. They ARE dangerous. The largest land predator in the world, no natural enemies, no fear of anything. The most popular handgun caliber among the locals is the .44, no six inch handheld mortars.

I have never heard any heated discussions about loads and bullet styles, I think most of those who carry revolvers consider most full power loads to be good enough. The key is bullet placement. A 240 grainer will do (and has done) the job if it hits the right spot, a magazineful of .30-06 will not even slow down a bear unless bullet placement is good. That said, most people carry handguns only as backup to a full caliber rifle. A revolver is easier to handle from inside a sleeping bag.

If/when I get a chance to do that camping trip up there I will bring my Ruger SBH 5-1/2" and some handloads with hardcast lead bullets. Maybe I will finally get around to working up a load with those 300 grainers a friend gave me some time ago I do not think I will worry too much about wether they do 1200 or 1300 fps.

Moose was also mentioned. I have a little more experience with those. Last week I almost bagged two - sitting in the projectile on my way home from work 2:30 AM one dark and rainy night... I had to break for one moose that was crossing the road, then swerve to avoid hitting another a few meters further on. This was not the first time, and I believe some 3000 moose were killed by road and rail traffic in this country last year. Around 40.000 are taken by hunters each year.

More to the point: I frequently come across moose when hiking in the woods where I live. Sometimes, especially in the dark, I have been quite close before noticing them, a couple of times measuring the distance in feet rather than yards. It has never been a problem, I just back off trying not to spook the animal. The best is of course to alert the moose before you get too close to it, if possible. And never ever go between a cow and her calves, that can be downright unhealthy...

Page generated in 0.03523 seconds with 8 queries