View Single Post
Old June 12, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I usually look at the receiver and see how much of the side and bottom finish is gone,, or remaining. It at least shows how much "handling" the gun has had. Look at the opening lever, if it is left of center, it is getting worn out. I grasp the gun and try to see if there is any verticle loosness then check for side looseness. I will remove the forend and look for excessive wear on the iron of the forend and the bearing surface of the receiver. I also look at the sides of the mono block for gouges or excessive wear. I check the mating surfaces of the locking mechanism. ( many types there) Check for peening of the locking surfaces. The receiver at the firing pins should be smooth and the holes round and not elongated although some brass shell marking is of no concern generally. If you study guns, you can get a feel if it was well handled or abused very quickly. I have no use for abused guns unless they are almost free, and then, I have only a little interest. I just noticed, this is your Anniversary 1,000th post. Happy posting to you, happy posting to you,, ahhh never mind

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries