View Single Post
Old April 15, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8

Well, I don't know the answer to your question. I have taken a number of North American big game animals up to and including elk but have never done so at an extended range. It just turned out that the shots that presented themselves were at relatively close range. However, I would feel completely confident in taking most of the animals on earth using an '06. I feel quite certain that IF I could make the shot (not just hit the animal but place the shot in the "vitals") that the .30-06 is more than up to the task.
Something you might want to try is to somehow find out what you are going to consider your max range. Then find out what your chosen load does at that range in terms of velocity. Then, attempt to compare that number to the number of another cartridge: for example, how would a 180 grain .30-06 bullet at 700 yards compare to a .357 revolver with a 180 grain bullet at the muzzle ?

FWIW, I shot two elk using an '06. The 180 grain Nosler Partition went right through both sides of it. One went through the center of the spine and right out it's chest. Many people would have you believe that you need at least a .338 Win Mag for elk as a minimum.

Another interesting study you could make is what people said about hunting cartridges in years gone by. For example, before the .357 revovler was introduced to the public, Col. Wesson took all manner of big game with it including elk and brown bear. It was considered so powerful that it was only initally offered as a custom revolver because the general public had no need for such a powerful handgun. Elephants have been taken with .44 mag HANDGUNS. When the .30-30 came out, Teddy Rosevelt raved about how flat it shot and how fast it was. Note that today, the hunting magazines and local gun gurus have convinced us that nothing short of an artillary barrage is adequate for chipmunks. This is BS. 100 years ago, when the "06 came out, it was a cannon. The animals havent changed at all. The only thing that has changed is our attitude that bigger is better. Nothing old could possibly work today. The latest, greatest cartridge touted by the gun magazines is the only thing that works today.......................................
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.04757 seconds with 8 queries