View Single Post
Old September 3, 2007, 05:36 AM   #16
ZeSpectre

I realize that the OP (IdahoG36) has already dumped his Taurus and bought a Kimber but I thought y'all might be interested to know that my brand new Taurus PT-1911B was doing the exact same thing right out of the box.

I had brought the gun home and field stripped it to clean out the packing grease and re-lube. After reassembly I found that with either the slide locked open, or with it closed, insert a full 8 round magazine and then either hit the slide release, slingshot, or rack the slide (I tried several methods) and the first round (of FMJ) would hang up on the feed ramp. Manually working the slide would feed all of the following rounds just fine.

Closer inspection revealed the slightest roughness of the feed ramp, not on the "trough" area but high on each side. A brief and gentle bit of work with a felt tipped dremel and some jewelers rouge polished it all right up and then there were no further feed issues but the gun still felt awfully gritty and the grip safety wanted to hang up a little (it would stick in the "squeezed down" position when released and then pop out).

Now keep in mind that so far I hadn't actually FIRED this gun yet.

So I finally gave in and did a -total- takedown of the pistol.

WOW! There were burrs and little curls of metal shavings ALL OVER the internals of this gun, especially around the trigger mechanism and the grip safety! I wound up doing quite a bit of deburring, polishing and just general cleaning to remove it all. I shudder to imagine the amount of trouble all of that crap would have caused in the long run had I not gotten that out of there.

Folks I'm not a Taurus basher, in fact this is my FIFTH Taurus firearm, but I've decided at this point that you simply cannot accept a Taurus as a "finished" product. Before you go to shoot one for the first time you simply must do a total takedown and inspection...or find someone (like me ) who knows how to do it.

BTW, my PT-1911B now runs like a timex watch and has a trigger pull like breaking glass so it really was worth the extra effort on my part

Page generated in 0.03471 seconds with 8 queries