View Single Post
Old October 19, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2
ZeSpectre

Review Part 2 - LUBE

The firearms involved in this part of the test were...
c1981 Ruger Security Six, Stainless Steel, 4" barrel, .357 Magnum
2007 Taurus PT-1911

Took both guns to the range and ran the hell out of them. The Ruger was fed a mixed diet of top-shelf .357 defense loads, .38 special defense loads, and a whole bunch of cheap n' dirty .38 special range ammo (LSWC).

Given how thin Gunzilla is I expected a breakfree-like tendency to flow and drip all over the place however once I had wiped everything down to a basically dry state I got very little seepage. I found this quite interesting because while using Gunzilla as a cleaner it was easy to spray all over the place and I thought it'd run back out just as easily but it doesn't quite do so.

Given the history of the Security Six line it's absolutely no surprise that the firearm ran through this test without a hitch (though I got that sucker HOT). The gun was FILTHY by the time I was finished and I figured on a LONG cleaning session to remove the LSWC "rings" from the cylinder when I got home (and I was correct). However everything on the gun continued to function smoothly and I had no operational issues. The gunzilla had been wiped off to an essentially dry finish but seemed to continue to provide good lubrication. I noticed a slight operational roughness in the hammer strut/hammer spring area but nothing of any concern and had I not been paying especially close attention to lubrication performance I'm not sure I'd have ever even noticed it.

The Taurus was fed 200 rounds of Winchester White Box FMJ ammo from Wal-Mart. Like the Ruger it got hot and it got dirty. Gunzilla seemed like it might be just a touch light to use as the only lube on the rails and working the action was smooth (and obviously lubricated) but not silky smooth. However there were no performance issues during the test and I could see lubing this way (Gunzilla only, wiped down basically dry) if you were going to function in extreme cold.

At present I would rate Gunzilla's lubrication properties as being better than Breakfree CLP, but not quite as good as Weapon Shield or Militec-1. The firearms in question ran well, but that "butter on wax paper" smoothness that I've come to know from Weapon shield and Militec-1 was simply not there.

In other words it seems to be a pretty darn good lubricant and should meet needs for typical civilian firearms use but there does seem to be superior lubricants available for use.

Page generated in 0.03771 seconds with 8 queries