Thread: Chili Recipes
View Single Post
Old September 15, 1999, 10:26 PM   #19
Long Path

DC-- 's a good recipe you've got there, but you're missing a key aspect that is so important to MY chile-- texture.

I hand-cube my meat into <1cm cubes prior to browning. This gives a texture far superior to ground, I've found-- gives you a little to chew against, but the simmer makes it tender.

Also, I like 2 Tblsp. of masa stirred into a half-cup of warm water to be stirred in 20 minutes before removing from the simmer. Saves some time reducing fluids, and adds a nice under-tone to the texture, binding the various components of the sauce together into a more homogenous fluid. [No reason to get carried away, here-- I've seen people dump so much in, they had a non-Newtonian fluid going. (You could beat your ladle as hard as you wanted into the stew, and it wouldn't splash!)]

I've found that you can use the above techniques with pure venison and no more fat than the oil used to brown the cubed meat, and it's wonderful. (I've been told for years that you "Have to have a lot of fat in your chile!") You have to up the spice and pepper just a tad when you do it, but the result is a chile that doesn't get that orange crust over the top when it cools, doesn't cause the heartburn, and is better for you, to boot.

You now have my treasured secrets. Go, and use them only for good...

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Page generated in 0.03195 seconds with 8 queries