View Single Post
Old July 20, 2009, 06:31 PM   #63
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandydany
...I forget where I read this report, but it was about a school teacher taking a walk in a desert trail near Phoenix AR , and he shot a man dead with a 10 mm...
That was the Harold Fish case. One of the jurors in a post verdict interview specifically said he was troubled by Fish's use of JHP ammunition.

But before you all go trading in your JHPs, remember risk versus utility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown in post 26
In any case, you're also ignoring the risk versus utility analysis.

There is a risk my training will be used against me. But my training increases my chances for survival. Therefore, I have prepared to meet attacks on my training.

There is a risk that my use of commercial JHP ammunition will be used against me. But I am convinced that such ammunition is more effective, and its use will increase my chances of survival. I have therefore prepared to meet attacks on my use of JHP ammunition.

There is a risk that use of handloads could be used against me. But I have no reason to believe that using handloads will improve my chances of a favorable outcome on the street. Therefore, I don't use them for self defense....
In any case, Fish has a "happy ending." Fish won his appeal and the convict tossed out. The appeal would usually mean a new trial, but I understand that the prosecutor has thus far said that he would not bother re-trying Mr. Fish.

But the Fish case does have some lessons for us:

[1] The type of ammunition used can influence jurors.

[2] You're not safe just because you're in a gun friendly state. Arizona is a gun friendly state, and an Arizona jury convicted Harold Fish the first time around.

Page generated in 0.03012 seconds with 8 queries