View Single Post
Old July 21, 2009, 02:22 PM   #71
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I'll use your advice and buy factory ammo, but NOT hollow point as I have read enough articles about hollow point not being THAT good....I'll use .45 cal 230 gr for ccw and 255 gr flat point for practice and that is not a common load for the LEOs. In my corner of Norhern Cal, the deputies seem to carry .40 cal. guns. I read that hollow point have a tendency to get the cavity filled by cloth or bones or meat , whatever is worn by BG, so the projectile does not always behave the way it was designed. -- Dan
Dan, I live in a populous area and I choose hollow points partly so the bullets will be less likely to keep going and hit an innocent person. Sounds like that may not be of much concern where you live.

My other reason is increased effectiveness. I've never shot anyone and hope never to do so, but I do want them to stop if I do. That means a balance of penetration and expansion, which would seem to call for hollow points that do not clog.

For that reason, I've chosen Hornady Critical Defense rounds for the .38 and 9MM.

That hasn't been easy to find on the shelves, and dealer I trust just recommended Glaser's Pow'RBall in .45 ACP. It too has a polymer insert. and as an old user of .45 ACP ball ammo I like the shape. Haven't tried it yet but the guys at the store say it works in their .45s.

Here's a link.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/products/glaser/powrball.htm

Tad bit off the original topic but I hope it proves helpful.

Page generated in 0.03723 seconds with 8 queries